Saturday, September 24, 2011

Big Yellow Bowl

Big Yellow Bowl.....In my mind it goes with the Big Yellow Bird.  The two go hand in hand with me. 
This particular Big Yellow Bowl has seen some stuff.  Traveled from Sacramento, to many a Family Reunion in Northern California....Burney, Grass Valley, this is what Grandma would package her extra special Potato Salad  in.  This was found in Grandma's Garage after she passed, due to the amount of dust, I don't think it has been used for years.  I think its only fitting to fill it back up with Potato Salad!  I don't have my Grandmothers recipe, but I found one, and doctored it up a bit.  I think its pretty good. 

Tomorrow is Mrs JellyMan's Grandfathers memorial.  I never truly got an accurate head count, so I am going to show up double fisting Potato Salad.  One with Egg, one without.


Looks good don't it?  =)

Ingredients

  • 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 2 cups mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup yellow mustard
  • 1 cup chopped white onion ( or red for a different flavor )
  • 1/2 cup green onion
  • 1/2 cup sliced black olive
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
  • sea salt to taste
  • 8 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
  • 3 dill pickles, chopped (optional)
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Place the potatoes in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and place in a serving bowl.
  2. Stir the onion, salt and pepper into the potatoes while they are still hot. This allows the potatoes to absorb the flavor. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
  3. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, celery, black olives and horseradish to the salad, and mix well. Gently stir in the eggs and dill pickles. Garnish with left over sliced eggs.  Finish off with a generous grinding of black pepper on top. Chill for about 30 minutes before serving.
I thought I would be slick and just double the whole thing.  You really have to have a pretty good sized pot to cook 10 cups of chopped potatoes!  So I did it in batches. 

I really like the horseradish.  It adds just a bit of zip! 

As you can never have enough food at a funeral, I also decided to whip up a couple of batches of Persimmon Cookies.  The recipe was Grandpa Archies sisters, so I figure I am good.



Been in the kitchen most of the day, so I have no complaints!  Any day spent in the kitchen is better than a day working in the office!  The sink, the floor, and the oven timer are calling my name, until next time!

2 comments: